Te Wai Pounamu
- 1500g dried fava beans
- 1500g onion
- 6 bay leaves
- scant teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup mature lacto veg
- 150ml apple cider vinegar
- A few bits of dried kelp
- Sunflower or rapeseed oil
- Soak fava beans and kelp overnight in 4/5l container filled to the top. Salt lightly.
- Drain and put beans and kelp in the pressure cooker, fill water up to the handle rivets. Add some salt.
- Bring to the boil (steady steam stream from lid) then simmer for 1 hour
- Chop onions and add to high-sided 1/1 gastro. Salt and generously oil. Add bay leaves.
- Combi mode @ 160 10mins, convection mode @ 160 10mins. Maybe a few minutes at 180. Onions should be browning and slightly caramelised.
- After 60 mins take beans off heat and wait for pressure to lower (steam not streaming). Drain.
- Add the beans and lacto veg to the onion tray. Salt.
- Drizzle oil on top then convection mode @ 180 7 mins. Stir and repeat x 2. Beans should be browned and bursting.
- Add 150ml apple cider vinegar and 1500m water. Put lid on.
- Combi mode @ 160 20mins
- Taste and salt.